Sunday, August 9, 2009

What is your last resort?

When you have a headache, do you administer Tylenol before praying?

When your kids are hurt, are band aids applied before prayer?

When you are frustrated with the unfolding of unforeseen events in the day, do you vent to a friend before you come humbly to God?

I only ask, because I, once again, have found myself guilty! I am guilty of neglecting the great means of prayer. I use it as a last resort. I do not come to the Father, who gives us good gifts before all else. I am too quick to solve my own problems my way, instead of quieting my heart before the Sovereign GOD.

God places attaches such sweet promises to prayer. We know that by the effectual blood of Christ He hears our prayers. (Let that sink in... we have an ear in the throne room of heaven... an ear that can accomplish all He purposes to. Does not your heart leap within you with joy at the greatness of God to be our Father and to answer petitions placed before Him? It should!)
We are told that the "prayers of a righteous man accomplish much". We know that "all things are possible with God", and He promises in 2 Chronicles 7:14, "if my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land." There are so many precious promises I do not have the time to elaborate on them all.

Let us not be backward, may we repent and pray! May we pray for God to be glorified, His name to be praised in us, in our families, in our nation, and in the world! May we pray for the brokenhearted and downcast. May we pray for the stranger to be brought home. May we pray for sanctification in our lives. May we pray for peace! May we pray for the wicked to be caught in their own snares. May we pray for our headaches to be removed, hurts to be healed, and may we pray for our children to love Christ above all. May we be creatures of prayer, not ones who neglect it and use it as a last resort!

This great privilege cost our God a great price. Let us treasure what Christ has purchased on our behalf. May we love our Saviour all the more! Let us come before Him to worship with thankfulness and love!

No comments:

Post a Comment